Monday 23 March 2015

Ode to past pets: "Piggy bead"


It seems to me that this project is hard to plan, it simply shapes though time and thought it unfolds and then rolls into a small portable form with a hole in the middle. And so with manny images of Piggy surrounding me, I got to work softening the clay, shaping, twisting, pulling, rolling, swirl-mixing the colours seeing the patterns in old piggy's fur and copying them down into a condensed simplified replica:

My first Piggy bead attempts were too large and although all the colours were there (for me) too abstract to represent the subject













These beads are much better they are smaller the colours stand out much more and are shaped more like the patterns or shapes that I picked out on Piggy's fur.






 The end result of Piggy's bead portrait, I made enough chunky and not so chunky beads to make 2 versions of the Piggy Bracelet one smaller and easier to wear the other larger and better to see although  a little difficult to wear when doing every day tasks. By using different shades of white and grey clay I have also made them glow in the dark so the patterns on the beads are visible even in poor light.







 Although the individual Piggy bracelet is like a portrait of each guinea pig or pet I have decided upon another which somehow seems fairer to all my past pets. To create an almost charm bracelet with a single bead for each pet and to almost let them gather and build up naturally and over time. Already I am finding that when I do actually wear them I have to pull them off and fiddle with the smooth textures of the beads as I think and look at the revolving patterns of the beads.  And who knows ? maybe it can become a sort of addition to my guinea P performance like a " Influenced by" statement.

The start of my pet bracelett: Piggy ( guinea Pig),Rex ( guinea Pig), and solder ( fish)

Piggy


No comments:

Post a Comment